Most of us are unaware of the benefits that a single bike yields. We often relate bike riding with just fitness, but in reality, bikes can be utilized for many other things. If you own a motorcycle, you already know how it saves your time in traffic. You can go shopping, take a ride to your work, or travel around the bike easily for essential errands.
A bicycle is something that brings comfort to each task while keeping you in touch with exercise. Don’s miss out on the practical things because since you can attach a saddle bag to your bike, you can carry multiple bags. However, to securely ride the bike, it is essential to learn how to connect a saddle bag to your bike safely. This article will give you a detailed guide on each method to attach the saddlebag to a bike of any size.
There are two methods to attach a saddle bag to your bike: the strap system and the click-in-dock method. Those who own bikes are well aware of the strap system, specifically Velcro-type, which is a type of strap system. The other process, called click-in dock, is not popular among the bikers, but it can bring multiple benefits to the bikers in terms of tidiness and comfort.
First of all, if you are using a click-in-dock method, you would be able to save your legs from rubbing against the saddle bag. Second, if you have multiple bikes, you can switch bags easily, although the cost and energy required to shift the saddle to the other motorcycle using this method can be high. But the final decision is always yours, and we will explain the process and pros and cons to you.
Method 1: Attach Saddle Bag to Bike with Click in the Dock
This method to attach a saddle bag to the bike is considered complex as the mounting hardware included in the package can be difficult to use. Don't worry, and we will explain every step in detail. All you need to do is to install the clips or hardware to the bike seat with the aid of an Allen wrench. The purpose of an Allen wrench is to fix the bolts so that the hardware is appropriately attached to the bike seat.
Step by step guide:
- Start the process of installation by keeping the mounting hardware in line with the seat. It should be appropriately in line to avoid disturbance while bracing it later. Now you have to position the saddle rails and top mount perfectly. Then, you have to attach them using a clip that should be directed towards the rare wheel.
- The central part is now done. You have to use the 5-millimeter bolts to fix both sides into the seat rails.
- Always remember to tighten the bolts accurately because this will determine the safety of the biker. If the bolts are loose, there is a high chance that they will be detached anytime between the ride.
- Once you are done installing the mount now, you have to check its quality after clipping the saddle bag.
- Take the bike on a test ride and check if there is any sound or movement. If you feel anything wrong, consider the option of reinstalling the saddle bag.
Method 2: Attach Saddle Bag to Bike with Strap System
This is one of the most popular options and no doubt, and it is easy to and affordable too. IF you compare this method with the click-in-dock process, it gives you an advantage over the cost and time. Check out the step by step guide provided below:
- The Velcro system comes in with two straps. One is attached to the bike trails, and the other one is attached to the bike post.
- The longer strap has to be joined with bike rails going through the D ring.
- Once you have installed the D ring, you have to tighten it carefully. This step is essential because if the D ring is not correctly attached, the quality of attachment will be disturbed.
- Now the next step is similar to step 3. Now you have to join the smaller strap to the seat and carefully tight it for your security.
- Take a test ride of the bike and check if you feel any movement or not. If you feel anything wrong, repeat the process mentioned above.
Tips and Tricks for Attaching Saddle Bag to Bike
- Always go for the smaller options
- Large saddle bags might be more attractive because you can put more things in them. But in reality, they will cause actual discomfort to you. Therefore, we recommend all our readers go for the smaller and lightweight options to save yourself from the additional despair while riding your bike.
- Place it high
- If the saddle bag installed on your bicycle is kissing the road, trust me, it will cause a lot of inconveniences. Firstly you won't be able to paddle the bike properly. Secondly, there is a chance that the strap can come between the wheel, and it can cause an accident. Last but not least, it can hit your thighs and cause injuries.
- Don't load the saddle bag
- Saddle bags should only be used to carry essentials. If you are going on a trip, we recommend you keep the item like air pump, some cash, some tools, identity card, and an additional tube with you.
- Avoid filling the bag with unnecessary items like books and other things.
Most of the things that you usually carry in your backpack can fit easily and more securely into a decent quality bike saddle bag. You can even lag around larger items if you use multiple bags. Now you should have a good idea about how to attach a saddle bag to a bike, and we have mentioned all the details about the methods.
Now the ball is in your court, and you have to decide which way suits you. However, we recommend whatever process you use, take measures to make it as secure as possible.