To begin, there is a need for some clarification so you know what we're talking about when we discuss bags. There are many different types of bags and they all serve different purposes.
It's important to clarify because if you're looking for the best bag(s) for commuting to work, what you need may not be exactly what you think. So let's start with generalities and move toward specifics about each type of bag. The best bag for commuting to work in most cases will be the following variants.
- Have an over the shoulder strap and a separate removable, adjustable handle at the top that you can use to carry them by hand as well as sling them over your shoulder
- Are usually smaller than other types of bags so they don't take up as much space on crowded public transit as there isn't as much room to spare for your belongings
- Typically have fewer compartments than most backpacks which makes it easier to find things when you need them but also harder to organize small items in general
- Are typically less durable than backpacks that are made to hold laptops because they are not intended for that use
- Typically can do double duty as a purse, only smaller
- Typically only one main compartment plus a pocket or two on the outside
- Can be more visually appealing in some cases ("fashionable") depending on the colors/style of the bag
- Have padded straps and an adjustable chest strap which makes them better for longer commutes when you might have heavy loads with you
- Are very useful if you commute by bike because you need your hands free since bike handlebars don't accommodate bags well. Also, if it rains or snows, you don't have to worry about your things getting wet/cold/muddy unless they get exposed to the elements while you ride.
- Can fit a laptop and lots of other items in them than messenger bags/slingbags can carry, if necessary
- Typically have more compartments than slingbacks which makes it easier to organize small items but harder to find things quickly when you need them. Can be very overwhelming for some people who want everything organized perfectly (which never happens anyway)
- Are typically less "fashionable" than some slingbags depending on how they're designed and their color combinations...however, there are exceptions of course!
- Typically only one main compartment plus a pocket or two on the outside unless it's a giant backpack that can hold your sleeping bag and camping mattress and all your hiking gear (and then some)
- Typically more durable than slingbags because they are intended to hold laptops and other heavy items...however, some people treat their backpacks so badly that they would fail at holding up in a strong wind.
- Are often the least desirable option simply because it's not as easy transporting them or using them everyday compared to messenger bags or backpacks/rucksacks. See below about why this is the case for each person depending on what type of commute you have.
- Have outside pockets which can be very useful when commuting by bus/train/subway if there aren't compartments inside but there usually aren't compartments inside anyways unless it's a laptop briefcase. Some briefcases put your things in a mess and can be very hard to organize in general
- Typically look the most professional but that's just a matter of opinion. Do you care about looking professional?
- Typically have straps on them so they can be carried by hand when necessary but messenger bags, backpacks/rucksacks, and slingbags cannot use this feature as easily...they typically slip off your shoulder which is not good for your clothes, bag, computer screen (if it's a laptop), etc. This isn't an issue if you're wearing a coat/jacket with deep pockets or happen to put your hands in said pockets too.
Top-10 best bags for commuting to work
COACH Crossgrain Leather Tote
This bag is for people who want to look fashionable but also want something that is practical for commuting by bus/train/subway.
It has one main compartment so it isn't great at organizing small items well but does have an outside pocket if necessary. It can hold a laptop fairly well...but not as good as many other options on the market today.
The materials of this bag are guaranteed for life so you can feel pretty confident in your purchase
Jansport Right Pack
This bag is good for people who don't want to spend a lot of money but still want something that will be comfortable and durable enough to last them a while. It has one main compartment plus an outside pocket which isn't very useful but there are two mesh pockets on either side which some people find convenient because they're easily accessible while biking.
This bag is not stylish at all...however, lots of people buy it because it doesn't look like a "schoolbag" or briefcase so they don't feel as conspicuous carrying this around. Pockets and zippers are not high quality...however, you get what you paid for!
Oscaurt Laptop Backpack
This bag is best for people who have to take public transportation both ways or don't want to carry much with them because it can hold a laptop and that's basically it.
It has two compartments that are good at organizing small items but not great for accessing quickly when you need something out of your bag quickly. No outside pockets are available on this either so that might be inconvenient if there isn't a pocket inside the bag itself.
One main compartment plus one front pocket...the front pocket can be excellent for holding power cables, pens/pencils, lip balm, tissues, etc. Nifty! It May not work well in all backpacks though due to its design
Maxx Brand Vintage Backpack
This bag is best for people who want something stylish and don't want to spend a lot of money on it out of fear they might buy the wrong product.
It has two compartments so good for organizing small items...but not great if you have a lot of them. It has no outside pockets but this bag is so aesthetically pleasing that some people don't mind keeping their things inside the bag! Lots of colors and designs to choose from too which is great.
The storage space in this backpack is large enough to accommodate books, note pads, pencil cases, exercise clothes/shoes...as well as your laptop. The bag has a total of three zippered compartments which means you can keep all your things in an orderly fashion!
If you look for a bag that can keep all your things organized and is able to take care of a laptop as well...this might be one of the best options for you.
It has two compartments (one large, one small) which allows for easy organization and access to smaller items like pens/pencils or lip balm, etc. An outside pocket is available if necessary too but it doesn't look very professional at all so not great for work.
This bag comes with a 10-year warranty and many people love it because it's sleek and modern looking yet still comfortable enough to wear on trips or even use as an everyday commuter bag!
Dreubea Women’s Soft Faux Leather Tote
The peculiarity of this bag is that it's great for both works and for re-enactment or cosplay. The bag is very stylish with a vintage look to it so it looks professional but still fun!
Most people just use this bag as an everyday commuter because the material feels much like real leather...so you won't feel uncomfortable carrying your laptop around in this thing. There's also no smell whatsoever which is good if you're worried about ruining the quality of faux leather by spraying perfume on it.
There are inside pockets, one main compartment, and an outside pocket for easy access to smaller items or quick storage when you need something out of your bag quickly. Lengthwise, there's enough space in here to fit many books/notebooks due to the adjustable strap.
Jansport Right Pack Backpack
This bag is best for people who don't want to spend a lot of money on a backpack but still like it to be functional and look great.
It comes with two compartments (one large, one small) which means organizing your smaller items will not be much of an issue; however, this might make accessing larger things in your backpack difficult because only the smaller compartment can open up all the way...not both at once like most backpacks today. There's an outside pocket if you prefer keeping things in there instead of inside the main compartment just so they're easy to access when you need them!
The storage space isn't very big though so it's best for books or notebooks, not your laptop. It has adjustable straps which is great for comfortability but the stitching on the bag might come undone after a while if you're using this backpack for commuting very often.
NUBILY Laptop Bag For Women
This bag is best for people who are always on the go or don't have much time to spend organizing their bags before heading out.
It has one compartment with a laptop sleeve so if you have a lot of your belongings, it might be inconvenient because it's difficult to keep things organized...unless you constantly "put stuff back" every time you take something out or put something in! There's an outside pocket where you can store items that need quick access so this is good too.
The material is waterproof which means rain won't ruin your things even if they're stored inside the bag! It also comes with adjustable straps for comfortability and looks professional enough to bring into the office with you.
TIMBUK2 Foundry Backpack
This bag is best for people who need a lot of storage space and love to be able to organize their things in an orderly fashion.
The bag has 3 different compartments plus an outside pocket for storage of smaller items. Since there are so many pockets though, you'll have to be extra careful not to lose your keys or any other things because if they slip into the lining of the bag without you knowing, it might be difficult to find them again!
Many people claim that this backpack is comfortable and easy on the back even after hours of carrying it around. If you're using this at work every day with heavy loads, your shoulders might start hurting BUT if light/moderate loads are carried in it (smaller books like notebooks), you shouldn't experience any discomfort whatsoever.
UTO Women Backpack Purse
Finally, we have this option, that's not necessarily a backpack but still serves the same purpose.
It has one main compartment and an outer pocket but it can be used as a crossbody bag which means both your hands are free to carry other things around when you need them! This is great because you won't have to worry about getting tired nor will your back/shoulders hurt from carrying something heavy on just one side of your body.
The material is water-resistant so if it rains, all your stuff inside the bag should stay dry...but this also means that there's no padding in between so if you drop this by accident, chances are high that the things inside might break or get damaged due to impact. The straps can easily be adjusted for comfortability and style-wise, it looks nice with casual or professional outfits.
Quick access, comfortability, and style are all factors to consider when buying a bag for commuting. In this article, you'll find 10 different options that should fit your needs!
Which one will you choose depends on all the different factors you come across...so make a list first and prioritize them to find the best bag for your lifestyle! Consider the materials. prices, durability, and reviews about each product before buying anything.
Remember: there's no such thing as the best option for everyone! What we can do is, give you different options and hope that one of them will work out better than the rest and/or fit your lifestyle and purpose.